- Upon completion, TMT will be the largest optical-infrared telescope on Earth with a potential resolution 12 times sharper than the Hubble Space Telescope. TMT will be used, partly, to observe galaxy and planet formation, and the first light of the universe.
- TMT’s primary mirror is comprised of 492 hexagonal segments, each of which is precisely controlled with the aid of a customized Ultra Motion D1 Actuator. The actuation system is responsible for maintaining the desired shape of the primary mirror throughout structural deformations caused by temperature fluctuation, gravity, wind, seismic activity, and other vibrations.
- Read more about TMT here: tmt.org
77K to 85°C
WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Contact Us To Discuss
Ultra Motion has experience in the following laboratory environments:Environmental Specs:
- Vacuum (10-6 Torr)
- Radiation ( > 20 Mrads/year)
- Cryogenic compatible (77 K)
- Temperatures up to 100 °C
- Submicron resolution
- Design for high life (1 billion inches)
- Thrust up to 500 lbf
We offer Controllers that are LabVIEW compatible.
Please contact our engineering staff to discuss expanded capabilities and custom actuators.
Using an LVDT as feedback through an 18-bit ADC, Ultra Motion Rad Hard Actuators provide high accuracy placement of Beam Scrapers used in the NSLS-II Loss Control Monitor System. These scrapers are used to localize beam loss to areas of higher shielding, thus minimizing the risk of excessive radiation exposure outside of the storage ring.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II is a state-of-the-art research facility currently being built at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Upon completion, the NSLS-II will become a leading source of research in material science, nano-science, alternative energy, and more. Ultra Motion was asked to design radiation hardened actuators for high precision application in the NSLS-II’s beamline.
- Radiation Hardened to 20 Mrad / year
- 1 Micron (0.00004″) resolution
- 3 Micron (0.00012″) repeatablility
- 100 lbf axial load
- 1 billion inches of life
Primary Mirror Positioner